Sunday, October 18, 2009

One Day, You'll Teach Me- a trip down memory lane

"Look, Dad, a crystal! Look, it's really shiny!" I almost throw it at him in my excitement.
"What is it?" I ask impatiently the moment it touches his hands.
"It's quartzite, see the lines? Those are inclusions."
"One day, you'll teach me." The voice echoes through time.
"It doesn't feel smooth." I look down and throw it back, determined to find something more beautiful.
"Dad, help me find beach glass!"
"You go ahead, sweetheart."
All of the memories blur together in the chilly classroom. Was that one day? Did we find something more beautiful? Are these memories mine or do they belong to someone else? They belong to a different time, of that I am sure. There was a time, a brief point where we were a happy family. Maybe solely a moment. I sit on the beach and look left and right, I look down to my wrist and to my empty hands. I get up and walk slowly over to the children I'm watching, "How's it going?" They giggle, pleased to be on the beach rather than at camp. I was so hot that day, I remember, turning a page, digging out from under a pile of autumn work. Was I hot that day? Was that the hottest day of the summer when the children were begging to swim? I simply don't remember. Have I gotten so busy that all of my days have blurred together, marked solely by the progress of my work?
I see his hand, finger pointed. I feel his breath on the back of my neck, "24." I turn around, looking up.
"How do you know that?"
"One day you'll teach me."
His voice echoes through time and I look around my table at the faces examining me over their stacks of pancakes. I find no traces of the timeless echo.
I look around, the smell of pancakes filling my dorm. I had forgotten, had not heard the ripples through time. I still find no trace and I realize that I never used to like pancakes.
"This is Anjelica." He says proudly. She doesn't know who I am, just that she should.
"This is my daughter." He says proudly. She already knows, I just wish she didn't. This memory fills me with shame.
"Daddy!" No one answers.
"Look what I got you! Come give me a hug!"
"He took that out of his food money." Her voice breaks my reverie. My mind begins to race and my eyes threaten to spill over again.
"Do you remember that?"
"No," I panic, "Why don't I remember that? I should remember that." I furrow my brow and look away.
"I don't remember anything." I say, crying.
"I should have turned out differently." I pause, "I should have been a completely different person." I whisper to myself, knowing the walls would never tell of my secret confession.
"I'll see you soon, right?"
"I'll talk to you soon. Love you." He rushes.
"Yeah, I love you, too."
I feel rejected.
"You'll come to see me soon?"
"Um, yeah. I love you." I rush.
"I love you too."
So many people have come and gone. Some left bigger holes that I would ever admit. Some I thought were irreplaceable, but I look to my left and to my right and smile. There's so much love in my life.
"One day you'll teach me." The voice echoes on.
It was love that put me here.

No comments: